Come to Skaha Beach this weekend for some serious CrossFit competition.
The eighth annual Okanagan Valley Throwdown (OVT) was scheduled to take place at SOEC in 2020. The event, like many others, has been postponed for two years due to the pandemic and organizers are thrilled to give it a finally life.
“We were only a week away from hosting OVT when everything was shut down for the pandemic. It was a huge success,” said Hoodoo Adventure Company event organizer Lyndie Hill.
“With all the restrictions for indoor events, especially fitness venues, we found it difficult to reschedule, but we wanted to make sure we could pull through for the athletes who had been waiting years to compete. We have had to make a decision months to finalize the venue and I decided that at the time, the outdoors was our safest bet.”
The event partnered with Beach City CrossFit at Barefoot Beach Resort, launching the first Skaha Beach Throwdown in the Throwdown series.
“We now have probably the most unique venue in the history of functional fitness competitions, which we are very excited about,” added Hill.
The competition will host nearly 200 athletes from across Western Canada, with events at the beach and Play Winery, where they will participate in a weightlifting workout overlooking the vineyard.
The Competition will take place on Saturday and Sunday as follows:
- Event #1 – Barefoot Beach
- 7 a.m.-8:30 a.m. *Individual men I 8:30 a.m.-10 a.m. *Individual women I 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m. *Teams
- Event #2 – Barefoot Beach
- 12pm-1.30pm *Individual men I 1.30pm-3pm *Individual women I 3pm-4.30pm *Teams
- Event #3 – Play Estate Winery
- 4:30-5:30 p.m. *Individual men I 5:30-6:30 p.m. *Individual women I 7:30-8:30 p.m. *Teams
- Event #4 – Barefoot Beach
- 8am-9.15am *Individual men I 9.15am-10.30am *Individual women I 10.30am-12pm *Teams
- Event #5 – Barefoot Beach Final
- 12pm-3pm – Everyone will participate in this WOD with the lowest scores first.
- 2:00-4:00 p.m. – The top 8 in each category will compete for the first 3 places.
- 4:30 p.m. – Prize giving
Attending the event is by donation to the Youth Outdoor Recreation Society and can be done from the winery, the beach, or from your own private dock on the lake, operated by GEO Docks.
Food and fitness vendors will be on site.
Doors open at 6:30 a.m. on Saturday and 7:30 a.m. on Sunday.
For more information, visit the Throwdown series website here.